Get your home ready to sell this spring
With springtime comes warmer weather (even in Yellowknife), longer days of sunshine and more new listings. With the 5-year fixed term interest rates recently cut, there may be even more buyers looking to make a move.
If you are thinking of putting your home on the market, you’ll want to be ready. Here’s our top 5 tips to get you started:
- Take care of any repairs – you will want to take a critical look throughout your home for any issues and do any necessary repairs. Do you have any cracks or marks on the wall, paint that is peeling, stains in the carpet, a cracked tile, or moldy grout around the sink? These are all things that you’ll want to fix.
- Make some updates – small, inexpensive updates can go a long way. Some that you might consider include: a fresh coat of paint; new fixtures, kitchen hardware or lighting; new moulding; visible storage; and/or new outlet and light-switch plates. You might also consider upgrading your thermostat to a NEST, a smart home product that optimizes energy and can lower your future heating bills.
- Do a deep clean – with spring, comes spring cleaning! And this is even more important if you are going to sell. Be sure to clean all bathrooms, the kitchen, the garage and don’t forget to wash the windows which has the added benefit of maximizing the amount of light that comes into your home.
- Declutter – many experts say that decluttering your home is one of the least expensive ways to make a big impact to your home. Donate items that you no longer use and organize closets and cabinets.
- Don’t forget the exterior – when a buyer walks up to your home, you’ll want to make a great first impression. Consider painting the front door, cleaning the exterior siding/walkways, putting in a new outdoor light fixture and/or making upgrades to your landscaping.
We are also happy to do a walk through of your home and provide you with more ideas and tips that will win over spring-time home buyers and help you maximize your investment.
Finally, we can prepare a free market analysis for you so that you have an idea of home values in your area and the value of your home. With over 35 years serving Northerners with their real estate needs and over 10,000 property records at our fingertips, our realtors are equipped to share relevant information and insights on the real estate market in Yellowknife including pricing, neighbourhoods and specific properties.