12 Ways to a Safe Holiday at Home
This holiday, many of us will be celebrating at home. To help stay safe this holiday season, we highlight 12 safety tips:
- If you have a fresh Christmas tree, be sure to water it daily.
- Position your tree wisely – avoid high trafficked areas and place away from heating vents, radiators, stoves, fireplaces and burning candles.
- Keep sharp or breakable ornaments away from small children and pets.
- Use lights that have the mark of an accredited certification agency.
- Check light strings. Discard any that are frayed or have exposed wires, loose connections or broken light sockets. Replace any broken or burned-out bulbs.
- Keep driveways and walkways cleared of snow and ice.
- Turn off all holiday lights before you go to bed.
- Never run electrical cords and extension cords through or across doorways where they might trip someone; avoid putting them under carpets where they can overheat.
- Dispose immediately all packaging like plastic bags, plastic wrap, foam, staples, ties and protective film, especially if you have small children in your home.
- Ensure batteries are not accessible to children and are properly installed by an adult.
- Use fireplaces and candles safely during the holiday season
- Finally, to reduce the risk and spread of COVID-19, clean and disinfect your home. Sanitize high-touch surfaces frequently and wash your hands often.
These tips and more can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/home-safety/tips-holiday-safety.html
The team at Coldwell Banker wants to wish you a happy and safe holiday season!