Winter is coming… Here are some seasonal reminders to help you prepare.
- Have boilers and furnaces serviced, including chimney cleaning.
- Have fuel tanks filled and resume automatic delivery.
- Order wood and pellets for secondary heating sources.
- Have wood and pellet stove chimneys cleaned and appliances checked for safe operation.
- Turn on circulating pumps if turned off for the summer months.
- Disconnect garden hoses from hose bibs and turn off hose bib water supply lines, and have them drained.
- Ensure all smoke and CO detectors are not outdated and that they are in working order.
- Clean filters and turn on ventilation systems often referred to as HRV’s (heat recovery ventilators, air-to-air exchangers, or HVAC’s).
- Clean out gutters and downspouts to prevent ice dams and ensure proper water flow.
- Check doors and windows for drafts. Replace worn-out weatherstripping or caulk as necessary.
- Check trees around your property for dead or hanging branches that might fall under the weight of snow or due to winter storms.
- Rake leaves and store summer garden tools. Prepare your garden and plants for winter.
- Ensure you have a winter emergency kit, including flashlights, extra batteries, blankets, bottled water, non-perishable food, and first-aid supplies.
- With shorter days, ensure that your outdoor lighting is functional, especially along pathways.
- Winterize vehicles by checking antifreeze levels, tire tread and pressure, and replacing wipers with winter blades.